There is a big possibility that your content can be stolen…
even if you just started to blog either for a content websites or an online magazine. You will be surprise to see your content being reposted on personal websites, article websites, and other blogs.There could be times when your work will be copied from your website and posted to another website. To make it look original, your article will be altered. There could be times when your content will be reposted but with proper credit to you but without your permission. If you prefer your content to stay in your site, remove the duplicate content.
Here are some suggestions:
- Go to Google Alerts to find the content stolen from you. Place a part of your article and specify the kind of websites to be searched. Give your email address for you to be duly informed on the result.
- Find out if there is any abuse on your website. Make a survey on your logs and server. Find out if there is any sizable increase in your bandwidth for referrers or host. Know the quantity of your server logs.
- Copyscape will immediately scan the whole web to look for duplicate content of your page. It will give you top results for a word for word comparison. There is a price for Copyscape, but it is all worth it for those who write and publish their content.
- You can use trackback notifications ,which are provided by Movable Type, WordPress, and Drupal. These will tell you if someone is linked to your post.
- Contact the site service that hosts the site who stole your content. You can also use Google, or Go to Who Is to remove the stolen content.
- Go to Google Webmaster to report a complaint against the site that took your content. The site will be banned from using Google’s search engines. If your stolen content is earning money using Google Adwords, the account will be instantly closed and the thief cannot open another account.
- Set up Google Search Authorship if you are actively doing online posting. This will convey that you are the writer or creator of the content. Google will likewise guide you on how to affirm the content that you created.
When this happens to you…
Do not panic because you can still do something. Whenever you post what you have created or written, be aware that a thief is out there is waiting for the chance to steal your content. Learn different ways to protect your work, and apply the necessary precautions. When you have proven someone stole your work, gather evidences before calling the authorities.