Most people think blogging is a very easy task to do. Personally, I disagree because there times that words don’t come smoothly and my thoughts are all over the place. It does get easier though. You just need a lot of time to practice and to develop your writing skills. If you want to be successful in blogging, you have to know how to write an enticing blog post.
Including visually appealing infographics may help, but your readers will only stay if they will learn something from you. In order to get your readers’ attention, follow the blogging tips I’ve listed below.
IT SHOULD FOLLOW A CERTAIN STRUCTURE
- Your blog post should have 3 main parts: introduction, body, and conclusion. The introduction should give an overview on what your readers can expect from your blog post. Moreover, you elaborate on the scope of the problem you will address.
- The next part is the body. This is where you will explain further the points you gave in your introduction. You will provide concrete examples, give helpful tips, and/or present an effective solution to a problem.
- If there a lot of options or solutions, divide your body into different parts. Utilize bullets and numbers to highlight the important information you want to emphasize. To ensure that it is easy to follow, it is better to use plain language. Highfalutin words may overwhelm your readers.
- The last part is the conclusion. In this part, you will provide a short summary of your key points. Remind them of the solutions you have given and make sure that you have answered the questions you asked in the introduction.
KEEP IT SHORT AND CONCISE
- Your readers do not have the time to read through your lengthy paragraphs. The top bloggers write in short paragraphs. Limit your paragraphs to have around 3 to 5 sentences only.
- Even a SENTENCE LONG explanation is fine because the truth is: no one wants to read a lengthy and boring paragraph.
- Long paragraphs will surely intimidate your readers. It’s common for amateur bloggers to include huge chunks of texts, but this strategy will not help in inviting people to read your articles.
- It is your job to let them understand your article. Trust me, things are easier to read if you keep the sentences short. The shorter the paragraph is, the more helpful it is for your readers. The online world does not need to follow the “rules” of an academe. Online content has a casual tone and the so-called rules are bent slightly.
IT SHOULD BE SKIM-FRIENDLY
- Usually, people are too trying their best to keep up with the fast paced lifestyle we have now. There’s no time to read an entire post. Instead, people just skim. With so many things to do for the day, it’s important to get straight to the point.
- It’s easier to skim through an article if the key points are highlighted. (Use bullets like what I did in this article!)
- Divide your content and add subheadings. These subheadings should help your readers understand your key points.
- Avoid dullness and dryness by applying bold, italic, or underline setting to your blog post.
The “perfect” blog post does not just happen in a snap. The best bloggers still encounter slumps so don’t be too hard on yourself if you are having a tough time writing your thoughts. It is best to make an outline of your suggested article and list the things on what to expect in the introduction, the body, and the conclusion. Ultimately, your blog post should have a clear purpose and goal.