The world of web design is complex. Learning its terms is like learning a new language. You will encounter terms such as CMS, hosting, compression, CSS. For some, it may seem familiar. For other, it can be a bit overwhelming.
There are numerous technical terms in web design and these terms can bewildering for a non-web designer. Before you start on working on your web design projects, brush up on some terms.
This list oft terms may be basic for some, but these are very important terms that you will encounter often:
CMS (Content Management System)
- This refers to the platform that allows web designers to create and modify the content of a website without learning any technical knowledge about computer codes.
- It is name of the website. Before, domains usually ends with a .com, .net, or .org. Now, domains can end with .ch, .to, .io, and .me.
CSS (Cascading Style Sheet)
- used to illustrate how a website written in HTML or XML will look. CSS characterizes how certain web elements will appear when rendered on screen. Additionally, it allows modification of elements such as size and color of the text, background image, position of the paragraphs, and many more.
- Files and images used on a website should be able to load fast. Compression is reducing a file into a reasonable size that occupies less space to help a website load faster because a speedy website is what we all aim to have.
CTA (Call to Action)
- The website’s CTA are buttons encouraging you to “Download here”, “Shop Now”. There are a variety of CTA buttons on every website that entices users to take a particular action. These buttons should be large enough for users to see. As much as possible, it should be within reach. Getting that free download shouldn’t take several clicks.
Hex Color Code
- six-digit code that starts with a number sign. Each hex code is unique and has a color assigned to it. Examples: #cbbeb5, #ff0033, and #62a8e1.
- Is the technique of arranging and using different typefaces. With typography, websites are able to make sure that their texts are legible and readable for their visitors. It involves choosing typefaces, sizes, line spaces, and the likes.
- A service enables individuals to allow their website accessible for public use. Once a site is uploaded, people who know the domain name will be granted access. A good hosting service should be a able to guarantee a secure and reliable hosting.
SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
- This helps your website to appear in different search engines results. With the right SEO technique, your website will be one of the top results on websites such as Google, Yahoo!, Ask, and more.
- Before web designers start the actual designing, they create a visual hierarchy first. They need to establish the important web elements and what needs to be emphasized and focused on. To make sure your message comes across the way you want, establish a visual hierarchy of your website first.
Responsive Web Design
- It is important to have a mobile-friendly website. Responsive web design will render your website to be fit in all screen sizes or different devices. This will allow users an optimal and seamless experience.
These are just some of the web design terms that you will help you understand more about creation and development of a website.