The market is flooded with different kinds of laptop. In fact, manufacturers have added new and amazing features. You will be amused by how they have improved the laptop. But do not forget one important factor – your budget.
Here is the list of the added features you can skip:
- Blacklit Keyboard – A lot of laptops come with this kind of lighting, but if you are the touch typist type, you don’t need this feature. If you are a gamer, playing in the dark can destroy your eyesight. Glaring backlights are not exactly helpful.
- Higher than 1080P Screen – Do not purchase a laptop with a “full HD” if you want to save money. Surely, the screen of a 3840 x 2160 (4K) resolution can give you sharp images, but then, if your display is as small as 13 to 15 inches, do you think resolution matters?
- Core i7 CPU – This is for those who has the kind of job that needs intensive tasks like giant spreadsheet formulas or transcoding videos. So, why spend more when an Intel Core i5 processor balances performance and cost
- Discrete Graphics – This feature is for those professional videographers, graphics artist, film animator, or if your work requires 3D modelling. This is also ideal for serious gamers. If you are not, better skip this feature.
- Infrared Camera/RealSense 3D – This feature lets you login in your laptop by facial recognition and this works well with Windows 10. How cool is that, right? But is it necessary?
- Fingerprint Reader – This goes hand in hand with the infrared camera and lets you login via Windows Hello. Instead of typing your password, all you need to do is to put your finger on a sensor. Typing your password is still safer. Also, Window 10 still requires a password.
- Touch Screen on a Clamshell Laptop – If you want a 2-in-1 laptop that can flip back or detach itself to become a tablet, then a touch screen is required. With the standard clamshell laptop, this is not necessary.
- More than 256GB of Storage – With cloud storage and other similar services, a lot of people do not need a storage that is more than 256 GB.
- Windows 1- PRO – A large business needs Bitlocker disk encryption, Group Policies, which this feature offers. Now, if you are not into business, why pay extra for Windows 1 Pro, right?
- 16 GB of RAM – Normally, 8GB is fine and adding more is unnecessary.
True, it is cool, but it is not really necessary.
You might have to pay extra for these features. If you need a laptop to do basic computing tasks, think twice before purchasing . Remember, more pixels means more electricity and will affect the battery life. In addition, Touchscreen laptops also lessen the span of your battery by a few hours. SDD is, more or less, 5 to 10 times more costly compared to mechanical hard drives. There are several online storage options you can utilize if you need more storage. Read more about it here. If you are on a budget, it’s better choose a cheaper alternative and skip features you won’t be able to use.