Businesses can now easily create their own website through website builders. However, many still opt to hire a web design team not just to build but also manage the website. This means that the web design jobs will continue to be a growing trend.
You may ask yourself, “Do I have what it takes to be a web designer?” You need to be a bit of a computer geek and an artist at the same time. The good thing about it is that web designers don’t need a specific training or certification as long as you have the skills.
These are the qualities will give you a huge advantage:
- Number 1 is the eye for design. This includes both color and layout. Web design should be appealing and everything needs to be precise. You just don’t include it because it looks good. It should have a purpose.
- Knowing the uses of colors and fonts will also help you in choosing the appropriate details for a particular website.
- The skill to organize isn’t just helpful in real life. It will also greatly aid making navigation easier.
- Be familiar with coding languages like Ruby, SQL, HTML/CSS, ASP. These can help in increasing marketability.
What are the advantages of starting a web design business?
- Web design is very in demand.
- This job can be done anywhere for as long as there is an internet access.
- You can venture to other related services like content writing, copywriting, SEO, and so on.
- Most importantly, this field pays well.
Of course, there are downsides to every business. In website design, these are the cons:
- You need to stay on the loop regarding the latest on software and coding.
- The constant change may encourage clients to create their own web design team.
- Because it offers a hefty salary, the competition is tough.
- Say goodbye to night outs because most of the time, it’s just you and your computer. Not an ideal job for social beings!
When starting your Web Design Business, it is implied that you already have the knowledge and experience.
You also need these things to kickstart your business:
- Choose a part of your house where you can freely work.
- A computer that is strictly for work and can handle heavy editing programs. You may also a good quality monitor, scanner, a camera and a printer.
- Invest in editing softwares. These may cost you hundreds of dollars, but it can enhance photo and video quality.
- A high speed internet connection is important. Uploading large photos and videos may take time if your connection is slow.
- Have a business plan that includes your short-term and long-term goals.
- Create a marketing plan that indicates ways to reach your target market.
- Your own website that includes all your work.
- You should also list of all your products and services.
- Give details on your design process and how you work.
- Material for marketing like brochures and business cards. You should include your official social media accounts in your various print ads.
- Connect with other people that may lead to more possible clients and referrals. You refer businesses to your clients and the businesses will in turn refer you their clients.
Getting your first client may be a real challenge for you. Use this time to expand your network. Interact with people by joining conventions or be active on social media. Post your work online and reach people from different parts of the globe. Constantly get your content out there and you will surely attract your market.